Tuesday, January 25, 2011

DAY 1

American University
Tenley Town

I thought I had become accustom to the hustle and bustle of the city life since I have been living in Chicago for the last three years but when arriving in Washington -- I was like a kid in a candy store. There are so many amazing, historical, and beautiful things so close that are surrounding the school's campus. It is one thing to read about the nation's capital city in a history book or a newspaper, but to actually see it in person is priceless.  

Like many of my peers, I was nervous and timid for the first day of the Washington Semester Program. (WSP for short and for future reference) I didn't know anyone and I wasn't completely sure where I was going, but that all changed... fast. Our first day consisted of a smooth and gradual introduction to the program, campus, and life style of D.C. It was really reassuring to be greeted by the WSP office staff members. They were so nice and willing to assist all of the students and there were A-LOT of us.

Our introduction orientation began with a welcoming speech from Dean Brown, other WSP staff members, our program teachers, and a campus police official -- who gave us her personal mobile numbers incase of an emergency--very reassuring for my mother.

Shortly after our orientation, our classes began. I'm not going to fib...as usual, I was a bit timid and unsure of what to expect... turns out that was a waste of my worry lines and my time because my teacher and internship coordinator couldn't have been more helpful and.. well, awesome! PLUS, they have both been working professionals in the field of journalism so they know what they are talking about.
            
IRIS KRASNOW:     
1. best selling author   
2. writing featured in The Wall Street Journal, SELF, The Washington Post, the list goes on...
3. guest appearances on CNN, The TodayShow,Oprah, etc 
4. she is from Chicago (wonderful)
5. former spelling bee champion of Oak Park, IL
 6. she is pretty funny and fashionable
                                       Krasnow's AU bio                                                           


GIL KLEIN:
1. former president of the National Press Club
2. worked as a national coorespondent
3. associate producer of The Kalb Report
4. has connections
5. a snazzy dresser
6. also pretty funny

No comments:

Post a Comment