Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Politico


Politico is American Political journalism at its best.


  • Beth is the managing editor of Politico and a true professional. Today she gave us resume tips for young journalists applying for jobs in Washington. In a nutshell... you have to be on your A game.
  1. NO RESUME MISTAKES: Grammar, spelling, none. "If you can't even get basic information correct how can I trust you to get things on of national importance correct?"
  2. NO MORE THAN 1 - 2 PAGE RESUMES
  3. COVER LETTER: Know the company that you're applying to, Know their tone, Know what they are about and what kind of publication it is. 
  4. SELL YOURSELF: "I don't care what I can do for you, it's what you can do for me. I need to know that you're willing to do X,Y, and Z. Why should I pick you and don't say, " I think it would be really neat to work here. I need to know why you're better than someone else."
  5. INTERNSHIPS = They are stepping stones. You need experience.
  6. MOXIE: "I need to know that you're willing to do whatever it takes, even if that means hopping on a plane two hours later."

  • Martin is the Congressional Editor of Politico. 
  1. "Politico explains who is in power and who is in charge of deals that are going on in Washington."
  2. "Politico is about pulling back the curtain."
  3. You have to be dedicated and quick moving.
  4. "You have to ask yourself, 'am I willing to do that? Can I drop everything and go?"

  • She is only 25 and covers the White House beat
  1. Covering a certain beat helps you find out the foundation and facts. It helps you see the bigger picture.
  2. You have to be able to drop everything and go.

No comments:

Post a Comment